The Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy (SC) contractors are responsible for providing appropriate housing for workers during their time on SC projects. We carry out regular inspections to ensure all accommodation meets the requirements set out in our Workers' Welfare Standards and allows workers to follow healthy lifestyles.
As per our Workers' Welfare Standards, we ensure that all workers have access to indoor recreational space with adequate natural light, ventilation and cooling. At least one outdoor, multi-purpose sports field is provided in the vicinity of all workers' accommodation.
Workers also have access to fully equipped indoor gyms to help them keep fit and some accommodation sites feature a swimming pool. Accommodation provided by our contractors offers facilities such as mosques, grocery shops, barber shops and laundry facilities.
Accommodation sites must have computers and internet access, as part of the Better Connections initiative from the Ministry of Transport & Communications, which helps to improve workers' computer literacy.
Time outside work is valuable and we want our workers to make the most of what Qatar has to offer. We developed two mobile apps to save them time and stress. The banking app allows workers to easily transfer money back home and the Saqidi app allows them to access important information quickly.
- Bedroom with four single beds and privacy curtains
- Lockable personal storage
- Toilet and shower facilities
- WiFi and computer rooms
- TV and satellite package in native languages
- Indoor and outdoor recreation centres
- Indoor gyms
- Medical facilities and first-aid rooms
- Catering service providing three free meals per day
- Laundry service
- Grocery shops
- Barber shops
- Access to grievance hotline
- Transportation to malls, banks, bureaus de change, public parks and community centres
Facilities available across all workers’ accommodation
Sadiqi workers' app
The SC developed a special mobile app for workers to improve their day-to-day lives, called Sadiqi, which means “my friend” in Arabic. The app offers a host of functions that help workers get familiarised with Qatar. A second version will be launched in the second quarter of 2020 to include a number of enhancements.
Sadiqi app features
- Finance and remittance functions
- Easy communication with friends and family
- Leisure and social activity information
- Health and nutrition advice
- Access to SC’s work grievance hotline
- Regular surveys
- Storage of personal documents, such as Qatar ID and passport
- Key emergency contact numbers
- Maps showing locations of ATMs, parks and health centres
Money transfer app
The SC partnered with Commercial Bank to make it easier for workers to transfer money back to their home countries in a simple, fast and safe way. The bank's special app offers an attractive exchange rate and low transaction fees for workers.
The app also means that workers do not have to give up their free time to travel to traditional exchange facilities to transfer money. Between travel time and queueing, it took workers an average of two hours each time they wired money to their families, invariably on non-working days.
In February 2018, the SC also partnered with Ooredoo to introduce a Mobile Money app, offering workers competitive fees for mobile-device-enabled money transfers and free data for using the service, as well as mobile ATMs on site for extra convenience.